Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Update September 10

What an incredible difference a week makes! This week started with getting Payton home and having a relaxing day on Labor Day. With Payton's improvement and overall stability I have decided to go ahead and compete in the LOTOJA bike race I have been training for all summer, I just don't know if I will have the time to prep for it again. This decision was made a lot easier by Payton's improvement. In fact he hope to be able to go in the car with Angie and attend the race. It starts in Logan and ends in Jackson Hole-Teton Village, 206 miles. It would be a really long day for him in the car, we will have to see. Each day sees a little more of the Payton we know come out, we are really excited. We had a very scary experience for all of us Monday as we helped Payton take a shower. We was doing really good and I was just getting ready to wash his hair and he blacked out and collapsed int he shower. His knee went through the marble on the shower wall but he didn't hit his head on anything. That really scared all of us, and so I have put a stool in his shower for his to sit on for a week or two until he gets his strength back.

Tuesday, I wen with Payton to school to see what we could work out on his 16 credit schedule. We walked around and met with several of the professors, all were very accommodating to letting him make stuff up so we have decided to go full steam ahead with this semester. It will take a great effort by Paton to get caught up, but he is a 4.0 student and can do it. We have decided to do work at home until next Tuesday when he will start to attend like a normal student. Mallory was so helpful at UVSC, she really knows her way around and knows many of the teachers. Payton was pretty tired when we called it a day about noon. He still gets that lost look in his eyes once in a while, not sure what is going on in his head, hope it heals soon.

Payton has had a lot of visitors this week, so many of our friends and ward members have stopped in to wish him well. He has mentioned several times how much he appreciates the support and love, and it has been good for him to interact with people. His head is looking better as we have been able to wash his hair and get some of the blood and junk out of it, it is amazing how much continues to come out. We are getting pretty good at his IV medicines, 3 times a day and he is great to not complain.

Angie and Payton have decided to attend the LOTOJA with us this weekend, not only as spectators but to be the Support team for Dan and I. this will be a little intense, but together they can pull it off. Payton is getting much stronger and is awake for much longer periods of time. Some school work is getting done but football, golf and US open tennis on TV are making it tougher.

Friday Payton had a complete evaluation by a Physical Therapist. This will test his balance, strength and overall condition. After about 60 minutes of testing the Physical Therapist has released his with a clean bill of health, he will just need to continue to gain strength. Another miracle, we can't believe it but we are so grateful. Less than two weeks ago we were not sure if he would ever walk again, his recovery is amazing. Later Friday Payton rode with Dan and I to Logan to do our final registration for the race, he seems to be feeling better and better.

Saturday, we woke up at 5 to get going for the race, Payton and Angie drove Dan and I to Logan, we had stayed in Layton. We went over the last preparations for them as the support crew and off Dan and I went to the starting line. This is a long day, we hope to make it to Teton Village in less than 13.5 hours. After the stress I have been under with this situation and missing some training I hope my body will come to the party.

Payton and Angie were at every stop with all of the support all day long. As I started to ache I kept thinking of Payton and how hard he has fought these past couple weeks. Somehow that makes me stronger in tough parts of the race. We finish in under 12 hours, and are thrilled. Dan finished 6 minutes in front of me so as I came into the line I could see Payton and Angie cheering along side of the finish. There are tears in my eyes, not sure if it is the pain or how grateful I am to have things turning out so well for us. FOR SURE BOTH!!! Payton comes over quickly and we hug....I am so grateful to have the real and complete Payton on the mend and to have him & Angie here at this special moment in my life. I am truly blessed and grateful for my family and our great bonds and love.

The week ended with us staying in Jackson Hole until Monday to recover from the race. Payton will return to school tomorrow, I think he is at about 90%. We should get the staples removed this week and we might try a haircut. Payton is hoping to swing a golf club later in the week and see how that goes as well.

No comments: